Digital dozen, get your hands on these links! July 13th edition.
- When I meet people, I feel like sometimes when they’re introducing themselves someone’s immersed my head underwater. I always mis-hear or just accidentally ignore people’s names (or forget quickly), so this ‘Bad With Names‘ comic from Doghouse Diaries just tickles me!
- Hey, have some Game of Thrones nuggets! These terrific reimaginings of GOT TV series characters in an 80s/90s style are beyond compare: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6. Pretty sure I’m in love with Khal Drogo from part 5. And if you like something a little more ‘realistic’, the Iron Throne as George RR Martin envisions it:
- You’ll notice that Comic Sans isn’t on this lovely infographic of the psychology of font choices. Yep. (I’m sans serif all the way, man.)
- I can’t go a week without an Adventure Time mention! This time around, ART! These pieces highlighted from an art show currently on in Austin TX, and this awesome ‘The Creation of Adam’ with Adventure Time characters. Lemongrab as Adam and PB as his creator is not only canonical but just looks surrealistically cool.
- Fun fact: Twin Peaks is my favourite TV show ever! I love it so much that once I had a marathon viewing and I had french presses of coffee flowing & I even made a couple of cherry pies. (I also did the same a few years later but with a huge box of vegan donuts instead of pie. I have a problem, yes.) I usually don’t bother with supercuts, but when it’s a supercut of all the pie and coffee from Twin Peaks, you bet i’m on board. I love the pie chat (hahaha) at the source, too.
- We’re having a lot of rain this summer in Toronto, which makes plonking down in the park for a picnic a moister-than-usual affair. I would love to hook us all up with these great grassy picnic tables. Civilized dining without wet bums.
- I’ve been following the ‘topleftpixel’ photo blog for many years, it’s been a beautiful slice of Toronto (mostly, and also other spots when he travels) every day. He’s wrapping up the daily posting, which is sad, but will continue posting photos & also blogging about photography, which I’ll be keeping an eye on – even though I don’t (yet) have a digital SLR, it’s all good information to soak in even if you’re just using a manual setting on a regular digital camera.
- It terrifies me that this is an actual real thing (the soccer hooligan fight), but it’s also morbidly hilarious that someone’s laid over a nature documentary-esque narration from David Attenborough.
- Back when I first discovered it, I spent many feverish hours on GeoGuessr trying to figure out where in the world I was on Google street view. (My proudest moment was being 8km off a spot in Cornwall). Now I’ve been reminded of it, I’ll likely wake up in 12 hours time slumped at my desk, somewhere in the middle of a deserted highway. You try it!
- 3D printing is AMAZING, you guys! This prototype for a cast would be such an incredible boon to the healthcare industry. And I dare you to not be amazed by this duck who got a replacement foot that was 3D printed! Aaah! (Even better is the man with the southern accent shouting out the duck’s name – Buttercup)
- Goldie Blox is a toy aimed at young girls to get them interested in engineering. I love that the creator was inspired [vid] to do something about the lack of women in her field by targeting younger kids with a toy package that looks like so much fun – and by not discounting all the other toys in the girl’s aisle, but saying this belongs there too. I played with SO MUCH Lego when I was a kid, i’d have been all over Goldie Blox. It’s amazing she’s in Toys R Us, I hope the product sells well!
- Via Reddit: after all the fireworks going on this month with Canada Day & Independence Day, i’m glad someone caught an amazing photo that wasn’t just a regular “ooooh, pretty” type. I’m sure you’ll agree!
Have a good weekend, all! Don’t spend all of it on GeoGuessr..